Turn or Command Undead

• 2 Replies
Turn or Command Undead
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:48:36 AM »
It strikes me that this Move doesn't capture the fun flavor of turning undead present in old school D&D.  I'm considering the following variant ... thoughts?

When you hold forth your holy symbol to the mindless undead before you, roll+WIS+Level.  On a hit, choose targets whose total level is less than your roll.  If you are Good, you keep these creatures at bay as long as you maintain the Turning (they will not come closer than 5' to you).  While maintaining the Turning, you may move but cannot perform any other actions.  If you are Evil, give a short command - they will follow it for a few moments.

noofy

Re: Turn or Command Undead
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »
What about the 7-9 'success but with a complication'? I guess you are only turning a smaller total number of undead, but still. 7-9 results are the most rewarding fictionally in the game. The players get what they want, but with an unforseen cost.

Re: Turn or Command Undead
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
In this case I felt it was more correct to stick closer to the move as written, which also doesn't specify complications. I guess it's the one thing the Cleric can do well without worrying too much about it :)

I'll be running the game twice in the next few weeks, two groups using the same custom adventure starter I'm compiling.  It'll be interesting to see how the story unfolds in each session.  I'll post some AP reports when finished.