Apocalypse Reloaded, or "Twenty Years After"

• 2 Replies

DannyK

Apocalypse Reloaded, or "Twenty Years After"
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
I ran an online game of AW called "A Town Called Gaga" that was pretty fun, set in postapocalyptic Arizona along the mystically preserved Route 66, AKA "The Old Road". 

The game ended in an awkward note, as online games are wont to do, but the players and I are up for another go at AW, and I thought it would be fun to take the same map and the same world, but start up with a new bunch of characters, somewhere between 1 and 5 years later.  It's an option for people to create a new, older version of their old characters, but I think most folks will try something new, which allows me to use the old characters as threats.  I still have the old Front worksheets somewhere, so I can figure out what happened with those threats and fast-forward a bit to present a new and interesting situation. 

One mistake I think I made with "Gaga" was that I disregarded some of the guidance in the rulebook and made a place that was too nice -- plenty of water from ancient wells, some breathing space between them and the psycho warlord on one side and the cannibal cultists on the other, an NPC hardholder who was crazy but relatively benign.  It made the characters tend to hole up and protect what they had, and even though I had threats pointed right at all of those good things, it took too long to build them up and the characters had the luxury of addressing them one at a time. 

So this time, I'm planning to make the setting that much more dysfunctional and dangerous, more haunted by shortages and scarcities.  I can do a lot of that from extrapolating from all the Fronts which raged out of control in the interim, and get input from the players as well.

Has anybody done this with AW? The title was inspired by Twenty Years After, one of my favorite Dumas novels, where the Four Musketeers reunite but things aren't quite the same.

BTW, if anyone is interested, we made a Wiki which is pretty detailed about the first session and setting, although I never updated it for the later game: http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/A_Town_Called_Gaga

Re: Apocalypse Reloaded, or "Twenty Years After"
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Our group had talked about doing that, going back to our first AW campaign world, but our MC is going to be moving soon, so it looks like it may not happen (at least for a while).  Would love to hear how this turns out if you end up doing it!!

Re: Apocalypse Reloaded, or "Twenty Years After"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »
Yep, we did this in our zombie apocalypse game.

When we restarted, it was 5 years later, pretty much every settlement from before had been overrun, and our new characters lived on an airship.