Apocalypse Degrassi (This is for my canadian brothers/sisters)

• 6 Replies
Apocalypse Degrassi (This is for my canadian brothers/sisters)
« on: December 27, 2011, 09:32:27 PM »
Hello all,

It's highly unlikely that unless you grew up in Canada you would have heard of a series of high school dramas filmed and set in our very own Toronto, Ontario entitled Degrassi, but if you have then I hope you can appreciate this.

My wife was watching this on Netflix and I caught a few scenes here and there and one interesting thing leapt out at me as I did. All the of the teenagers were referring to themselves in bizarre and unique nicknames, real names are rarely used and I kid you not they all sound like Apocalypse World characters.

Here's a few shining examples;
Mr. Walfish
Snake
Joey
Tessa
Bronco
Scooter
Clutch
Claude
Heather
L.D.
Wheels
Spike
BLT

Does that not sound like a list of names for playbooks?! It's so awesome!

Anyways, enjoy! Or don't. :)

Re: Apocalypse Degrassi (This is for my canadian brothers/sisters)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
Hahahaha Nice one Pheylorn!

Now that you posted that, you have to wear your best best Joey Fedora/Mullet next game  ; )-

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »
haha the hat I can do, the mullet....not so much. :)

noclue

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:40:41 PM »
It's highly unlikely that unless you grew up in Canada you would have heard of a series of high school dramas filmed and set in our very own Toronto, Ontario entitled Degrassi
Isn't Degrassi on TeenNick in the U.S.?
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »

I think that's a modern remake of it, the original was from the 80's and quite canadian. It's a dreadful show but we all know it up here! :)

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »

I think that's a modern remake of it, the original was from the 80's and quite canadian. It's a dreadful show but we all know it up here! :)

At least Kevin Smith has been on it several times...a serious role...not as Silent Bob : (

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:41:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure this used to be shown over here in the UK but under the title Degrassi Junior High.