Failed Parley = Defy Danger?

• 22 Replies
Re: Failed Parley = Defy Danger?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
Yes, of course, but that's all I have at the moment.

The problem is, I don't even have generalities.  What kinds of things are appropriate Parley dangers?  I don't even know where to start.

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
Fun Fact:  In AW, PC on PC manipulation doesn't even require leverage.  So sayeth Vincent.

way

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 04:58:29 PM »
Hey, Ludanto.

You don't have to make it a problem that relates to the parley or the leverage. Make it a complication of the thing he is doing. You don't Defy Danger on it's own. You Defy Danger because you are doing something and that something does not go very well because you are worrying about the leverage. But worrying is not the only thing that materializes: it generates a problem. For example the thief decides to fight back by a quick left hand attack, but as he hesitates, the fighter can see it coming in his eyes.
This all works only if it is an active thing the manipulated person is doing, but it's all right. If the thief can just sit back idly doing nothing, the fighter probably should have chosen the carrot, not the stick.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:01:47 PM »
Thanks.

A bit of searching through the AW forums came up with this:

http://apocalypse-world.com/forums/index.php?topic=652.msg5727#msg5727

...which helped quite a bit.

noclue

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
I did this
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

noclue

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
Fun Fact:  In AW, PC on PC manipulation doesn't even require leverage.  So sayeth Vincent.

I'm not sure how to understand that statement without context. To me, leverage just means having something the other PC wants or fears. I'm not sure how to manipulate someone if they don't want anything from me.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 07:12:42 AM »
I think Parley/Defy Danger comes from AW's Manipulate/Act under fire. In AW, however, you act under fire by using cool, which makes sense as the "fire" is, in my understanding, the second thoughts you have about their promise, that you are distracted by it and such.
In DW, on the other hand, you Defy Danger with DEX, which is not that straightforward. That's why i will try this custom move the next time i play DW:

Ability check
When you act despite an imminent threat, the DM will tell you what ability is needed to avoid that threat. Roll+that ability.
On a 10+, you do it, no problem.
On a 7-9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

This is actually based on a post by John Harper somewhere, where he says that they use whatever ability for Defy Danger, whatever fits the fictional situation.

So, with this, you can say that when you resist a parley, you Check Wisdom to see whether you are distracted, having second thoughts about their promise or what not.

noofy

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »
Yeah, Roland has the core of it. Sage references the Defy Danger Move in the yet to be published full rules (which are available to adventurer's guild members) as being the 'go-to' move for when you feel like a move needs to be made, but you can't quite figure out what.

He further elaborates in the moves discussion that the most common (and easy) 'custom' move for you to apply by simply substituting for the most applicable stat bonus for the narrative.

One of the simplest custom moves you can write is one that causes
you to defy a certain type of danger with another stat. Most dangers
can be overcome with quick feet and agility but you’ll encounter
dangers to be defied by your strength of will or bodily fortitude, too - p.141