I'm going to be running Goblin Gully
for a party of two this week and thought I'd have a go at statting the final creature.
Once the door is open a gurgling, sloshing sound can be heard from below. The pit is home to a putrescent mutant mass of flesh – the last remnant of the Kale experiments. It is treated as a black pudding but is far more terrifying looking as putrescent appendages grow and are reabsorbed. Creatures with less than 4 Hit Dice seeing it must make a save versus spells or flee as if under the effects of a cause fear spell. If they fail to bolt the door, the creature will be free to destroy the town...
Blending into the dark waters of the swamp, black puddings are predatory oozes that dissolve their prey into basic sustenance.
Instinct: To dissolve, to break down
• Dissolve an unattended mundane item
• Corrode an item, making it less useful (less damage, armor, uses)
• Blend into swampy waters
Level 2, 5 HP, 6 damage
How does it usually hunt or fight?
All by its lonesome: 9 damage
What's the toughest it's a threat to in its usual numbers?
A rural keep or guarded neighborhood: +8 damage
How big is it?
As big as a cart: 25 HP, Close, Reach
What is its most important defense?
Leather armor or a thick hide: 1 Armor
Which of these describe it? (Choose all that apply)
It isn't dangerous because of the wounds it inflicts, but for other reasons: -2 damage, write a move about why it's dangerous
It has long appendages or weapons: Reach
It doesn't have organs or discernible anatomy: +1 Armor, +3 HP
So, stats so far:
- When you first see the putrescent mutant mass of flesh, roll+WIS. On a 10+ your mind overcomes the horror in front of you and you may act normally. On a 7-9 choose one:
- You flee from the creature.
- You stand transfixed by its horror.
- You run crazed towards it, weapon swinging indiscriminately.
- Dissolve an unattended mundane item
- Corrode an item, making it less useful (less damage, armor, uses)
- Blend into swampy waters