New to Dungeon World :)

• 11 Replies
New to Dungeon World :)
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:28:57 AM »
Hello fellow Adventurers! Greeting from Poland!

My name is Michael and I just wanted to chime in with my first post here. I heard about Dungeon World here and there (mainly on rpg.net and Dragonsfoot forums) and decided to take a look. I listened to the Dungeon World play podcasts and I was astounded. A game that focuses on the players?! A game where you (the GM) roll no dice at all? And you do not need feats to trip, cleave etc? This is amazing stuff.

After little deliberation and ending my 3.5 campaign. I decided to get into some Dungeon World action.

So, today I paid my 5 dollars (waiting for the pdf's now) and can't wait to GM me a game of Dungeon World. Can someone guide me to potential problems I might have either pre-game or in-game?

Of course after my game I will post the play report, because why not.

Re: New to Dungeon World :)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Hello! I am from Hungary, so DW is getting pretty international :)

We just had our 1st session a couple of weeks ago, so i can tell you what we had problems with. Maybe you would have similar issue maybe you wouldn't. I would actually like to hear how it went the first time for you.

Anyway, there is a possibility from the book, i think to throw the abilities instead of using the standard values. We did that, but i actually wouldn't do it now. Or at least somehow make sure that all characters have at least one 17 (+2). We had one character who had one +1, and all the rest she had 0-s. It was really not fun for her...

While explaining the rules, i forgot to tell the players, that a roll of 6- is always a failure, and it is always bad for them. The text of the moves doesn't make this obvious, so we had some confusion the first time it happened.

Then we had problems with passive checks. I actually asked for help here in this topic, and i think the answers i got were pretty good.

Other than that, just follow the rules (principles, DM moves, etc.) and it should be fun. I actually haven't had so much fun as a DM in years as with this game.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

noofy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »
Hi Zdan, and welcome!
Roland gives you some great advice, but I think that on a miss (6 or less) its not so much 'something bad' happens as 'the GM makes a move as hard and direct as they like'. So this may mean that they put the players in a spot, deal damage, take away their stuff, give them an ugly choice, reveal a portent of doom etc...

I think that the best advice I can give is to start with the fiction first. The class moves do give the players some ideas for what their characters can do., but generally just take turns talking and when it seems like a player move is happening in the fiction, roll with it and see where the game goes! If the players get stuck and turn to you not knowing what to do or say, then make a GM move.

Re-incorporate as much as possible. If the players come up with some cool items, places, people, during play, tie them back into future scenes as often as you can. Make the players care about their story by celebrating their creativity.

Are you planning on using the the Bloodstone Idol as a starter? If so just try and understand the relationships of the creatures in the dungeon rather than memorising the locations. Then you can adapt the dungeon as the players effect the webs of relationships in the dungeon (and in the town).

Have fun!

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »
Thank you for your replies - they are immensly helpful. I am still waiting for my pdf's to arrive as I just paid today but after that it is game time.

I have two questions though:

1. As I read what was available online as far as Dungeon World goes my main inquiry is - how to make enemies powerful enough for the players? They do not follow the usual DnD paradigm of to-hit bonuses and such so I guess I have to rely on hp, damage and armor?

2. Is Dungeon World well suited to long-term (well up to 5th level now) campaign style play? Do the abilities of the characters increase in a big way when leveling?

noofy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:10 PM »
1. You can download Dungeon World Hack while you wait right? The monsters in the back will give you some ideas, but yeah if its only the mechanics you are thinking about its Hp, Damage and Armour.

Remember though that its a narrative game (rather than a combat emulator), so antagonists are much more 'adaptable' to the players levels when they have descriptive and prescriptive 'tags' or moves or narrative cues.

Everything is deeply rooted in the fiction. Thus when the rules suggest you (or one of the players) may have narrated into your dungeon world that your dragons are only vulnerable to weapons forged from dwarvish mithril.... well then you aren't hacking and slashing against a dragon unless you have one of those weapons handy! The GM just gets to make as hard a move as they like. Which may be 'scorch with dragon's fire' or 'lust after a treasure' or ravage the countryside'.

Dragons cease to become simply a number of HP, Armour and a few cool moves (though that's exactly how they are written up) they become an active, evolving creature in your Dungeon World.

2. Sure! Dungeon World gets better and better the longer you play. Remember, the characters only have a back story as long as the list on thier bonds. Everything else comes out through play. The more you play, the deeper the characters and their relationship to each other and the world around them grows. Its your story, make maps like crazy, explore forgotten ruins, save cities, wage war, investigate untold magical mysteries, slay monsters, rule the mercantile world. Its all possible with DW.

The rules at present go up to LvL 10, and they gain some pretty cool moves as they get more experienced. You can adjust the rate of advancement via how many xp you need to go up.  There is a 0-level supplement in the works too. I'm pretty sure in the pipeline are advanced moves (12+) for these characters, holdings, retainers, spells, rituals and all manner of earth shaking narrative prompts!

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
Hello, Zdan, welcome aboard!

The full version of DW (out next year some time) will go up to level 20. For now, it goes up to level 10, which should keep you busy until then. I expect we'll see an "epic" DW add-on at some point, too.

Definitely check out Marshall's "dungeon starters" (below) for quick-play. They're really cool.
The Goblin Hole
Black Oak Ridge
The Shallow Sea
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:34:26 PM by John Harper »

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Again - thanks for the myriad of answers!

Just got my pdf's and playbooks and I see the paladin is included - I am a happy camper as I LOVE paladins!

Okay - couple of more questions if you do not mind:

1. As I want to make combat exciting with tons of options how do I do that? For example the fighter cleaving oponents, tripping them or trying to disarm or even power attacking (attacking with less accuracy and more force)?

2. How lethal is Dungeon World ie. how many encounters are okay per session?

noofy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 05:26:38 PM »
I'm glad you like the game Zdan. :)
You are GMing right? Hmmmm. So if one of the players doesn't choose the Paladin, you may just have to develop a cool NPC? (Remember that GM moves aren't the same as player moves, but you can definitely base what you say on the 'framework' of the moves in the playbooks.

1. Combat (like anything in DW) is as creative as you want it to be. Don't think in terms of moves so much as what is happening in the fiction. If it seems like that should be a move, then get the players to roll. 'To do it - do it', yeah?
This thread on story games should give you some good ideas:
http://storygames.com/forums/comments.phpDiscussionID=15254&page=1#Item_1

2. DW is as lethal as the unfolding story. I know that seems like a cop-out, but it is more of an 'evolving' plot. You play to see what happens.  Don't pre-plan a plotline remember? Have an idea of fronts and dangers, but don't pre-plan out your 'encounters'. Just let the conversation unfold, make moves as they seem appropriate and follow the principles.
You can have as many 'encounters' per session as you feel comfortable playing. Remember that characters heal with time passing - which is determined through the story. Like having a rest back at the Inn or Making Camp. If the players look to be adventuring toward a threat you have  previously established that you know is likely to decimate them all, make show signs of doom your move. If they continue on, well.... They asked for it!

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 05:54:15 PM »
Yes I think I will be DMing. Luckily for me one of my players is ready and willing to play a paladin and be the shining beacon of hope in a world full of occult goblins and evil scoundrels :)

Only things I am missing from a player stand-point is a half-orc race option (I think it would lead to some great stories and AMAZING Bonds) and a ranger. Seeing as I plan to play Dungeon World some time I would love to see a Ranger. There is one in Dungeon World Hack but it is usable with the Red Box?

As for combat that thread on story games cannot seem to load for some reason but I will try it later.

As for encounters I kind of get that. However when I compare the hp amount/s that the players have with what some monsters can dish out it seems like death would be pretty often in Dungeon World and it does not seem like game that encourages that.

noofy

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »
Woo! That's awesome about the Paladin :)
Um, yup, the ranger from the hack is slightly outdated (there is a version in the Full Rules which will be published soon, or you can get a sneak peek by posting your actual play report and joining the adventurer's guild.) Rangers really do help take the game 'out of the Dungeon' too.

With the whole Hp / damage / death thing.... Remember that the fiction instigates the moves, and the moves generate the fiction. So for instance, if your Paladin describes their story as smashing the charging goblins skulls with their warhammer, well that sounds like Hack 'n Slash. So say the player rolls a 7-9. They get to deal their damage, but the goblins also get to make an attack. That could mean deal damage (but the Paladin is armoured to the hilt, so dents and scratches may be the only result. Or the goblins could make an attack that is listed under your notes (deal a poisoned attack for instance) or a soft GM move on your part....

'As you smash into the goblins skulls - dealing death - they scramble all over you. Unable to penetrate your armour they start tearing at your equipment, hanging off your shield. This makes you clumsy (-1 ongoing) or you could just drop the shield and lose its +1 Armour. What do you do?'

That's what I meant about monsters being more than the damage they deal out. That simply puts the players Hp in Danger. What else can you put in Danger? Losing a valued artefact? Separating them from their friends? Invoking the wrath of their God? Turn their own move back on them? Take away their magical abilities? Expose a truth best left secret? Make them backtrack? Challenge a player's special abilities or moves?

You (as GM) have many options for dramatic tension that are far more fictionally satisfying than simply dealing damage. :)

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
Noofy is right. But dealing damage is a good GM move too! :)

DW is pretty deadly, by default. "Combat" isn't the default mode, like it is in 4e D&D, say. If the players wade in a fight everything toe to toe, they'll get killed eventually (well, maybe not the Paladin with his awesome armor, but still).

I'd say DW is about as deadly as 3rd level 0D&D, WFRP, or Tunnels and Trolls -- if you're familiar with those.

noofy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
Yay! John, I still have my original T&T rulebook from the early 80's!! I LOVED that game. Played it more than basic D&D I reckon. :)

But of course Zdan, Mr. Harper speaks the truth. Dungeon World is not like the 4e 'video game' paradigm; gauged by being bloodied, and Hp 'refresh' after an encounter and all that. It can (and will) kill PC's if they wade in to every combat willy nilly.

But remember, combat (just like any conflict) is not just a serious of rolls by the players. In order to engage with the dice (and thus make a move) they have to narrate that into the game. They have to participate in the conversation. 'I'm gonna hack and slash the Orc' just will not do.

Encourage them to elaborate in their story, add flourishes and detail. Its those details that you grasp onto as the GM, making combat visceral and deadly and desperately risky. I mean, we are dealing with heroic battle here right? Remember if there is not much of a challenge and you feel as if the PC can just murder their (unprepared) enemies just like that... Well it isn't Hack and slash. Just have them deal their damage and escalate the fiction.

Make your GM moves. If you choose to deal damage, well the same goes for the GM. Don't just say 'the Orc swings and hits you with his sword for 4 damage'.... Oh no, get creative. You know the the thief only has 5 Hp left, they have described their thief ducking under a blow and hamstringing the Orc in a bloody riposte, so you owe them the same. 'The orc looks down at you as your dagger slides free off his calf with a wet slurp. Despite having a dumbfounded look, drool dripping onto your head, it manages to brain you with the human skull mounted hilt of its evil looking sword, bringing you into a dazed and vunerable stupor - mark 4 damage.'