Just found out about 'Dungeon World'

• 27 Replies
Re: Just found out about 'Dungeon World'
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 12:18:18 AM »
Tomorrow night I'm going to wrap up a short wilderness campaign, and I ran a very well received Wilderness one-shot at Big Bad Con in October. So, yes, it can do Wilderness campaigns at least as well as the next game.

Over Christmas I'm planning to run another wilderness game, this one set in the Fighting Fantasy world of Titan. Or maybe in Blacksand if I can motivate myself to dig out the book from my closet.

It really handles low/no prep GMing well; my prefered style.

The XP system works fine as written. There are several alternative systems out there that perhaps work a little bit better, but that's just us fans tweaking a near perfect game.

noofy

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 01:44:56 AM »
Fighting Fantasy + Dungeon World = AWESOMENESS!

I must get me some Provocative teasers from the world of fighting Fantasy.... Maps, brief descriptions of Locations and NPCs. All good DM prep.
The Blurb from the back of the books plus a few moves and monsters would make a great 'starter'. Oh yeah, the Forest of Doom....
Only the foolhardy would risk an encounter with the unknown perils that lurk in the murky depths of Darkwood Forest. Yet there is no alternative, for your quest is a desperate race against time to find the missing pieces of the legendary Hammer of Stonebridge — fashioned by Dwarfs to protect the villagers of Stonebridge against their ancient doom.

Wicked. Let us know how it goes!

Max

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
Sounds absolutely awesome!

Which 'xp system' would you say is the better option of all those currently doing the rounds?

noofy

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
Which 'xp system' would you say is the better option of all those currently doing the rounds?

Hmmm. Well, I was using the standard highlight stats (as in AW), mixed with a homebrew hack of Awesome dice (from old school hack) but after reading Anarchangel's ideas on highlighting actions 'types' (as keys) rather than stats, I was sold. I think Sage and Adam may have a revision or two in the works also. So long as you remember to mark xp for everytime that the players encourage what they want to see in play through their characters's actions,it should work out.

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
You can find links to alternate system that Ryan, Colin and I are playing withand why we prefer it to highlighted stats here. There's also some discussion of it on Story-Games.

I'm very keep to see what Sage and Adam come up with in the final version too.

Max

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 12:37:17 PM »
How goes the development, are we still on schedule for a spring/summer release?

Max

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »
Earlier in this thread, I was told that levels will 'probably' go to 20, but I just read via email that character levels only go to 10th.

This is a major bummer for me, because I wanted to use DW to run all those classic d&d modules. That and I believe level 20 gives you much more in terms of character growth.

Is this true, levels only go to 10th?

noofy

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »
Yup, in the playbooks as they are. The finite amount of available advances sort of make this a natural 'name' level finishing point. But..... Prestige classes will most certainly arrive for additional compendium classes to expand your now rather powerful characters into. :)
Some of us die-hard fans have been creative in this area of the game as our long-term campaigns have developed, so have no fear that the game 'stops' at level 10!

Max

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
Good news

It would have been perfect if they'd had modelled the progression level rate as per the usual d&d progression.

But like you say, it's not insurmountable

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
I agree. Fiddling with the progression rate will be easy. Only got three sessions? Then crank it down to just Level XP and watch them fly up. Want to play half a year? Then crank it up to 7 x Level.

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »
But hey, playing it's not a matter of earning XPs. You can reach level 10 and continue the adventure! On the other hand, it's fun to retire a character, or make up a good reason on why he's no more an adventurer—you know, he turned evil and will be the main antagonist of the next campaign. Or he growed old and in the next campaign will be the wise and gentle mentor of the PCs. Or he completed his quest for immortality and became a God. Maybe it would be good to have a chapter in the book about level 10 characters and what to do with them!
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:48 AM »
Maybe it would be good to have a chapter in the book about level 10 characters and what to do with them!

I second that!

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
I would like to see an Epic Level Dungeon World supplement covering levels 11 to 20!