BASICS: Stats

• 4 Replies

Ariel

BASICS: Stats
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »
The core mechanics are as follows, from Johnstone and I's design talks. These are still  subject to change, critique and modification.

There are four basic stats, much to Johnstone's chargin I imagine, but in practice, it turns out to be more like eight or so.

In AW, you roll 2d6 and add you stat, the degrees of success are: 0-6/7-9/10-11(12)/(12+).

In Bulwark you have four stats. Two of them are roll 2d6, one of them is lucky roll 3d6 and keep the highest two and the other is unlucky, roll 3d6 and keep the lowest two. You add whatever modifiers you have, +1foward, +2 to dissect, whatever. The degree of success are 0-7/8-10/11-12/13+. That means you've got all the moves opened up by default.

The four stats are Fray, Vamp, Edge, and Moth.

Fray as in violence and trauma; doing it and recovering from it; psychical, social or psychic.

Vamp as in hot, charming and sexy but also as in mindfuckery, manipulation, psychic warfare, using someone else.

Edge as in a hard-edge or a keen-edge, but also having an edge or skirting edge. Resisting pressure, sneaking around, finding stuff, getting the jump on some one.

Moth as in moths to a flame, but also moth as in the dual mean of the Greek psyche and the Latin anima: both soul and moth. It's the weird stat and it's how to get to information, navigate the network but also the go to weird stat, just like in AW.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 01:53:26 AM by Nathan Orlando Wilson »

Re: BASICS: Stats + Moves
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »
Haha! No, in this context, because the stats function differently than in AW, I think four is a fine number to have. Although I think maybe they should be named after the four horsemen.

Ariel

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
Leukos, Purros, Melas and Chl?ros somehow just don't work for me.

In a way that's what's already been done. Fray = War, Vamp = Conquest, Edge = Famine / Pestilence and Moth = Death.

Ariel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:38:30 AM »
The one I'm most up for a new name is Edge.

It's sounds really silly to me, all 90s or whatever.

I like four letter words.

Re: BASICS: Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
Yeah, you made the same associations between stat and horse as me, but I wouldn't use the colours' Greek names. Although I would put ??????? in white on an all-black cover. That would be dope.

You could call it Dark instead of Edge. Go dark, keep them in the dark, dark designs, darkling, the dark of night.