Workspaces, augury and playbooks

• 3 Replies
Workspaces, augury and playbooks
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
How do you see workspaces and how they can be acquired and used in play? Would, say, a gunlugger that takes control of a facility that is technically a workspace be able to use it with the ordinary workspace rules, or would she have to change playbooks for that? Anyone can drive and use a car, but you need the no shit driver-move to get bonuses from its stats. In the workspace rules there is no move associated to it, but that could be intended to say either that anyone could use one if it seems right (maybe while acting under fire, as with angel kits and non-angels), or that no one except a real savvyhead should be able to use them. And people that can get them through improvements, of course.

Situation is, I have a gunlugger-like character who would be sooo sweet with reality's fraying edge, but I don't want to change his type into a proper savvyhead-type. Would you allow generous interpretations like, sure, your armor and equipment could be arranged to connect to the maelstrom-equivalent! Or would you say no man, that is the savvyhead's fun, you have yours already?

Re: Workspaces, augury and playbooks
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:04 AM »
Good question. Really depends on you and your MC. Midnight, the Skinner in our group aske me a workspace for hir perfumes. I gave hir a list of things to do in order to get it, specifically : to get enough distillery and apoticary stuff to set the thing up, a place that locks, and at least two people to help hir, and it'd take at least a week to properly set the place up. As soon as zhe checks it all, the workshop's hir.

On the other hand, Verm the Brainer just took the Angel move to get himself an infirmary. We just roleplayed his finding an old research facility and setting the stuff inside so it'd work on people brains.

I'd say : if you set up the darn thing yourself or spend an advance to get an ad hoc move, sure there you go, use that shit. If not, act under fire THEN I'd tell you the steps to your work AND there'd be at least 3 things and no "or".

For Reality's Fraying Edge, dunno in general. If Dick Boxxer, our fellow Gunlugger, asked me for that move, I'd say "sure, take it, but I'll reveal what's your antenna and believe me, you'll be surprised", I'll note that somewhere and try to present him different things that could be the antenna, and wait for him to bite. Maybe some people he saved. Maybe the radio on the ambulance he found and restored. Maybe his gun collection talking to him.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:36:13 AM »
Thanks for the input!

Also, my MC gave his verdict: "Does it give you augury? Then go for it!" :D

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
The workspace rules are great for this. They already incorporate the learning curve into themselves, so yes, anybody can use any workspace. It's all a matter of what the MC tells them it'll require.

CASE 1, A GUNLUGGER:

"Hey, can I use this facility to modify my assault rifle to shoot bullets into the world's psychic maelstrom?"

"Sure, but first you're going to have to figure out how all this weird tech and machinery even works. After that then let's talk."

"Okay. Can I figure it out?"

"Sure, but you're going to need Burrough's help, and it's going to take lots of tries, and it's not going to be safe AT ALL while you're experimenting. Start by cataloging what's here, maybe."

"Sounds good! Can I do that?"

"Sure, but if you don't get anybody's help it's going to take weeks of work."

"Okie dokie. I'll get Artum to help and get started."

CASE 2, A SAVVYHEAD:

"Hey, can I use this facility to modify my friend's assault rifle to shoot bullets into the world's psychic maelstrom?"

"Sure, but it'll take half a dozen experiments or more and it's going to be wicked expensive."

"Great! I'll go see if she has some jingle to spare."

TO PUT IT ANOTHER WAY:

I fully support your MC's verdict. Good call, MC!

-Vincent