When you reset Hx, learn a secret [custom move]

• 35 Replies
Re: When you reset Hx, learn a secret [custom move]
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »
@Zelbinian: Have you been playing with a straight +1forward to help or hinder? Or have you been playing that you get a +1 when you use the information you got when Hx rolled over?

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 05:10:08 PM »
Good question!

We've been doing the former. That +1 forward sits there, pregnant, waiting to be used. It's pretty cool, because it changes the social dynamic of the characters - and of the players! - when there's a dude who knows something about you that you just kinda let out of the bag unexpectedly and you know that if you play this right they could help you with it... but if you piss them off it could come back to bite you. It's delicious.

I do rule that spending the +1 forward to help/hinder must make sense within the context of play (i.e. the player has to argue how they are using the secret to help/hinder).

I should also point out that one of the reasons I think it's working so well in the current game I'm MC'ing is that we represent ongoing/forwards with physical objects. There's something deliciously meta about absently playing with a physical manifestation of another character's secret as the session unfolds. Good fun.

Chroma

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 07:36:33 AM »
I should also point out that one of the reasons I think it's working so well in the current game I'm MC'ing is that we represent ongoing/forwards with physical objects. There's something deliciously meta about absently playing with a physical manifestation of another character's secret as the session unfolds. Good fun.

Oh my word, that just sounds so awesome!  What kind of objects do you use?

We've been using the "When you reset Hx..." move without any mechanical benefits and it's still been very cool in play; just the occasional "big reveals" have been well received at the table and made people excited to have Hx roll over rather than feeling they've taken a bit of a hit going from +3 to +1.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
What kind of objects do you use?

This game I'm going with pried-off beer and Coke bottle caps. The aesthetic fits the game perfectly.

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
Can you give us an example or two of secrets from your game? And maybe what happened when the player used the +1?

In my current game, one of the players owes two people secrets, but is having trouble thinking of them.

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »
Sure. One of my players is a Touchstone, but has decided to keep his symbol a secret for now "until the time is right." That was a cool secret to tell. Another player made up something really bad that her character had done in the passed and shared that.