Apocalypse World + Planet Algol

• 7 Replies
Apocalypse World + Planet Algol
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:33 PM »
I've been using the Apocalypse World rules to run a game set on Planet Algol, which meant some new playbooks and a few other small rules additions. So I put them all into a pdf for you, over on the Red Box Vancouver blog, if you're interested.

If you have any questions, you can ask them here or on the blog. Thanks.

Re: Apocalypse World + Planet Algol
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »
Woo! I am deeply in love with this.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »
Woo! I am deeply in love with this.
+1

This is pretty awesome. One question - some of the races get specific moves or stat bonuses as their racial benefit, while others only get the ability to have a specific stat bonus as an advance. How does this balance out?
+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Ambition knows no bounds.+++

Rogue Trader: Apocalypse

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 03:03:02 AM »
Like!

I think you just got me back in to weird fantasy.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:03:28 AM »
Thank you!

One question - some of the races get specific moves or stat bonuses as their racial benefit, while others only get the ability to have a specific stat bonus as an advance. How does this balance out?

Basically, it doesn't. Some races get a +1 or an extra move, some get both and a -1, and some get nothing, or they get nothing if they pick certain playbooks. Some bonuses partly reflect what Blair has developed for the races in his own campaigns, some I just made up because they sounded neat. Some races will have additional social advantages if you use Blair's Iridium Plateau setting material.

If all the races just had a +1, then they would balance out with normal AW characters. That's why I say to take a -1 if you're going to use an AW playbook.

Choosing to be Terran or Synthetic is a blatantly sub-optimal choice. If you're synthetic, you get to make up a race, basically, instead of getting an extra move or stat bonus. If you want to play someone from Earth, the rules encourage you to choose the Earth Man playbook instead of being a Terran Bravo, Thief, or Warlord. That's intentional. I'll probably write a Spaceman playbook in the future to better account for astronauts (and space aliens), and some specific synthetic races that have bonuses or are playbooks.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »
Oh, I totally forgot to post the character sheets! You can get them here.

Instead of trifold, you just fold them in half, with all the instructions on the inside.

Ariel

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:05 AM »
Shit son: if you want more art, I can do more art. Free-like.

Let me know if you want them on a black or white background, or mixed.

Just make with the stock/public domain photos.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »
Wow, that's cool! Been thinking about trying Carcosa some day, but with this, I'll probably go for Algol. Thanks!