Where's this Hack Going?

• 24 Replies
Where's this Hack Going?
« on: July 11, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »
I forsee this hack eventually producing a full set of rules. I think it makes a lot of sense for these rules to join the huge trove of old-school renaissance open content game materials out there!

So from here on in, I'm working towards a set of rules that can be released under creative commons and/or the Open Gaming License.

The problem with this is that I can't release anything under the OGL and use "D&D" in the name! So ApocD&D needs a name change. I'm leaning towards "Apocalypse Box". Is that a dumb name? Anyone have another suggestion?

Re: Where's this Hack Going?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:43:44 PM »
Beyond the connection to AW, does it even make sense to have "Apocalypse" in the title? If you plan on adding in some apocalyptic setting stuff then I totally see it. If not, then I think it will just be misleading. Unless you're looking to incorporate the whole "points of light" thing, and spin it as being post-apoc?

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »
How about

- Dragons & Dungeons
- Hit With Sword
- Gaol Raiders
- Adventure Quest
- Gelatinous Cubeslayer
- The Monsters Down There
- Crypt Cleaners
- Barrow-Sackers
- Down Dusty Stairs
- Underground Adventures
- The Dungeon Experience
- Platemail & Polearms
- Dragonbreath

Honestly, I think the six old-school D&D stats are more problematic than titles. Game titles are a dime a dozen.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 12:38:56 AM »
Definitely ditch "apocalypse" from the title.

If you want a little wink to AW, maybe "Dungeon World?"

Shreyas' are good too.

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »
If you want a little wink to AW, maybe "Dungeon World?"

Great minds think alike!

But I doubt I'll actually go anywhere with Dungeon World, so if you want the name, Tony, feel free to it!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 03:37:41 AM »
Now to Loot the Dungeon.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »
I'm partial to "hit with sword" myself.

But Dungeon World's good too.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
My vote goes to Dungeon World.

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
Now to Loot the Dungeon.

*applause*

Bret

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:10:29 AM »
Dungeon World is an existing product by Fast Forward Entertainment. If you plan on going forward with that, contact them first to see if they're still using it. I kind of doubt it since it was an OGL product and I only saw it for a short time after its release in 2003, but it could still potentially cause problems for you if they're still selling it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:13:25 AM by Bret »
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
Apocalypse Dungeon

or

Dungeon Apocalypse? 

sage

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:25:01 PM »
I vote for Dungeon World. In fact, I vote for it so hard, I made a new version of the rules and just called them Dungeon World. :)

Tavis

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »
Having advocated the idea that D&D is the apocalypse, I support keeping 'apocalypse' in the title.

'Apocalypse Dungeon' would be pretty straightforward.

sage

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 01:21:56 PM »
I think it kind of depends on what audience this is for. If everyone who plays this hack has played AW, then yeah, Apocalypse Dungeon is cool. On the other hand, if this hack is more of a stand-alone thing, people are just going to be thrown off by it. I talked to my brother about "Apocalypse D&D," telling him all this cool stuff the game has, and his first question was "so what was the apocalypse?"

I think this hack has legs of its own, so I'd prefer a name that didn't confuse people not familiar with AW.

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »
Tavis: yes, a thousand times yes!

Sage: I'm currently working on the assumption that Dungeon World is a Sage LaTorra game, but I'm planning to steal it back eventually. :)

And, curiously enough, I made up a huge T&T megadungeon a few months before I first heard of Apocalypse World (but when folks on SG were talking about post-apocalyptic games a lot). I called it the Apocalypse Megadungeon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37996594214@N01/3263252117/