Where's this Hack Going?

• 24 Replies

sage

Re: Where's this Hack Going?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »
Cool, I'll run with that.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
How are megadungeons handled in Apoc D&D any different then the shorter dungeons?

Maybe this might need a new thread?

ara

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 05:39:54 AM »
I talked to my brother about "Apocalypse D&D," telling him all this cool stuff the game has, and his first question was "so what was the apocalypse?"

And you answered "You're the apocalypse, 'cause you kill every damn thing in the dungeon," right?

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
I talked to my brother about "Apocalypse D&D," telling him all this cool stuff the game has, and his first question was "so what was the apocalypse?"

And you answered "You're the apocalypse, 'cause you kill every damn thing in the dungeon," right?

Ha! Nice.

I can see D&D definitely being "the apocalypse". Most settings are essentially the ruins of a previous fallen civilization with ancient, powerful magic items [technology] scattered in monster infested dungeons. Even the newest edition uses the "points of light" as a default, where the points of light are small settlements (hardholds) surrounded by an encroaching darkness full of monsters and danger (fronts). The only people able to really go out and kick some ass are the PCs.

So, is D&D set in an apocalyptic world? Certainly. But, I think when people hear the word "apocalypse" they don't really associate that with D&D. They likely associate it more with a "dark ages" atmosphere, where light vs. darkness is a big theme, compared to survival and morality in post-apocalyptic media.

sage

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure there are all kinds of similarities, but the first thing that comes to mind with that title is likely to be D&D + post-apocalyptic wasteland full of burned out cars. That could certainly be an awesome game, but maybe not the expectation to set.

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:48:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure there are all kinds of similarities, but the first thing that comes to mind with that title is likely to be D&D + post-apocalyptic wasteland full of burned out cars. That could certainly be an awesome game, but maybe not the expectation to set.

That's pretty much what I'm saying.

sage

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »
And I'm agreeing. :)

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
Damnit, forums are not for agreeing! Obviously there's some veiled argument/flame/mortal insult in your seeming concordance of views! :)

That being said, yes, I agree that "Apocalypse" in the title these days is going to conjure some Mad Max associations. But I think the more interesting question is do you want to try to push that word into some new associations, and/or use them to illuminate the "apocalyptic" traits of D&D? (e.g. "Oh, huh, I was expecting the Humungus and Orc Warg Gangs terrorizing halflings with boomerangs, but you know what? Even 'normal' D&D has a lot in common with that kind stuff. Who knew?). That's probably an overly ambitious aim for an RPG title, but I think worth thinking about.

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
I think you could do that with a different title and a good "game description."

Dungeon World for example, and a description of why it's a "world full of dungeons."

Either way works.

I am confused about whether Dungeon World and Apocalypse D&D are two separate projects... Eh?

sage

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 04:23:44 PM »
Me too. :)

For now, I'm planning more new stuff in my version of DW for PAX. I don't have a clear idea of how that relates to anything Tony's doing (aside from the fact all my work is based on his).