Structure: how Set Apart relates to tarot and Exalted

• 2 Replies
Structure: how Set Apart relates to tarot and Exalted
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »
Set Apart started as an Exalted hack, or maybe more clearly, as a proof-of-concept for Exalted as a post-apocalyptic setting, something that had gotten sorely lost in recent years. With the inclusion of the tarot elements, it's turned into something much more.

Each of the Exalted splats (Solars, Lunars, Sidereals, Abyssals, and Dragon-Blooded) get split into two Set Apart splats that explore different aspects of that Exalted's themes and purposes. Additionally, there is a set of five infernal splats that characters can become, based on their previous type.

There are no alchemical splats, because alchemicals are dumb. For example (of the types, not of alchemical stupidity)!

The Emperor and The Chariot are Solar splats.

The Emperor deals with leadership, rulership (two different things there), and glory. The Emperor is predominantly Hard, and secondarily Cool.

The Chariot deals with perfection and competition, being the best. The Chariot is predominantly Cool, and secondarily Hard.

When a Chariot or Emperor falls to infernalism, they become The Tower. The Tower is all about rampant destruction.

Re: Structure: how Set Apart relates to tarot and Exalted
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:50:53 PM »
This is cool.

The term 'splat' is not. It makes me think of Harold Lloyd doing a pratfall. With a sad trombone accompaniment. I know it's gamer slang, but it's just never worked for me. Cool and sexy character types deserve better lingo, IMO.

Re: Structure: how Set Apart relates to tarot and Exalted
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
Why not use 'cards', especially given the rest of the imagery?