Concentric Game Design

• 2 Replies

lumpley

Concentric Game Design
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »
I just wrote a thing that'll be interesting to you all here: 2011-06-07 : Concentric Game Design

Discussion welcome, here or there, both or either.

Re: Concentric Game Design
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »
Two things! Firstly, the Apocalypse World book has always felt weird to me, because it finishes out painting wild, speculative pictures of a vast space of possible play. This is actually a nice description of why that happens.

And secondly, it's interesting to compare Apocalypse World to other games, (In A Wicked Age is an obvious choice) and look both at the existence of concentric levels but more importantly at the direction of collapse and the impact that has on gameplay.

Re: Concentric Game Design
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 10:58:30 AM »
I just wrote a thing that'll be interesting to you all here: 2011-06-07 : Concentric Game Design

Discussion welcome, here or there, both or either.

This gave me words for why my latest hack actually has gotten somewhere and why it plays so well, compared to my earlier attempts - it leaves the first to layers untouched, and even borrows freely from the third layer of AW proper. It's also clearer what I need to work with if I am to pick up and finish a few of the ones that deviate on the lower layers. So thanks for that!