The "get +1stat" advances

• 2 Replies
The "get +1stat" advances
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
I've been struggling to see a pattern in what "get +1stat" advances the different playbooks get, but failed so far, so I thought I'd ask. Obviously the ones who can raise their signature stat with color through a move don't also get it as a colorless advance, but apart from that? Is it a numbers thing who gets to advance the same stat twice, or is it purely thematically decided? (I'm not that good with numbers and seeing patterns in them, I'm afraid.)

lumpley

Re: The "get +1stat" advances
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
It's a balance of maybe 5 things, I dunno.

Some of the playbooks have a more canalized future than others, where it's obvious to me that there are fewer in-playbook directions that a gunlugger will go (for instance) than an angel will.

Some of the playbooks' stat improvements are based on strengthening their strengths - these tend to have fewer - and others are based on strengthening their weaknesses.

Some of the playbooks tend to improve themselves - these tend to have more stat improvements - and others tend to improve their stuff and their endeavors.

For some of the playbooks, essential non-stat improvements crowd out the stat improvements.

And then there's the move thing, where the gunlugger gets Insano like Drano instead of a +1hard improvement. There's a whole different set of concerns there, about what improvement moves I want in the game in what proportions, and should the character be able to start play with the +3, and whatever else.

I'm sure you also noticed that most of the time only the playbook's leading stat can go to +3. A couple of the limited ed playbooks have a strong secondary stat that can go to +3 too.

So: those are the things I'm balancing as I create those lists, and you're right, they come out with tendencies, not with any clear pattern.

Re: The "get +1stat" advances
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Great, more or less as I thought then. Thanks! I'll probably have more questions on the subject later.