Parleying with another PC

• 1 Replies
Parleying with another PC
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
Parley (Cha)
When you have leverage on someone (something they need or want) and you try to get them to do what you want, roll +Cha. If they’re an NPC, on a hit they ask you for something and do it if you promise. On a 7-9, they need some concrete assurance of your promise, right now. If they’re a PC, on a 10+ both, on a 7-9 choose one:
  • If they do it, they mark experience
  • If they refuse, it’s defying danger
What they do is up to them.

(emphases mine)

So, this comes up quite a bit in my AW games, because my friends are backstabbing treasonous bastards (or I encourage them to be, which is also a possibility).

In AW, where Defying Danger is called Acting Under Fire and linked with +cool, this makes perfect sense. If I tell you I'm keeping your girlfriend hostage, and I will do horrible things to her if you don't give me all those shotgun shells you've been hoarding, it makes good sense that if I make my +cool roll, I don't start bawling but can, with a straight face, tell you to go fuck yourself and who gives a shit what you do with that whore anyway. Yet Acting Under Fire works equally well when I have to plow my way through friendly fire to reach the neighbouring gang's bunker.

In DW, I'm asked instead to roll my +dex to Defy Danger. As we can see, that makes sense in the latter case (storming the goblin barricade while the archer is raining fiery death onto it) but not in the former (pay me 1000 gold or I'll snap your magic wand in half).

Disregarding the fact that the game probably doesn't work too well with PCs who threaten wand-snapping each other every few minutes, I still want a workable move. :)

There are of course many possibilities, so I'd appreciate suggestions. One notion might be:

• If they do it, they mark experience
  • If they refuse, they acquire a Bond worth -1 with you; if they do it, they can instead opt to give you a Bond worth -1 with them

sage

Re: Parleying with another PC
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Yeah, we've talked about some alternate versions. Or doing some deeper changes to the move.