Types of games

• 11 Replies
Types of games
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:45:58 AM »
Hi all, my paperback copy of AW arrived yesterday. Reading through I started wondering if this game will be any good for one on one and/or play by post games.
Have any of you played in either or both of the types mentioned above?

Re: Types of games
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
I played a one on one game, sort of. We did pick up another character for a session or two, but I also played several sessions with just me and the GM.

It works fine one on one, but there's a lot more pressure on that one character. No time to take a breather. As long as you're OK with an intense back and forth between you and the GM, I think it's GREAT.

Never tried PbP, but it's worked great over IRC.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »
Here's one at RPGNET:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?571052-Apocalypse-World-Red-Sands-First-Sesh

That thread was my first glimpse of Apocalypse World.  A couple of googles later and here I am...

(you have to be registered at rpgnet to view the PbP forums...)

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
We have two games running at Snail's Pace and there were three others that fizzled (I think the most recent one has fizzled -- the MC hasn't posted in like a month...).  I find it a very fulfilling way to play.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
Been playing on Snail's Pace as well, yes I agree with Christopher, it's got some real advantages and of course limitations. There's some games over at RPOL, too.

It's great to be able to really narrate what your character does, but also what they think and feel. Don't get that so much in a live game.

Live gaming is always best, but forum gaming can be pretty darned good. just different.

Chris

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »
I've been in two PbPs and I think there's some serious issues with the natural back and forth flow that's supposed to happen in AW. For instance, Go Aggro with multiple PCs can be a nightmare if the MC doesn't hold tightly to the reins, which isn't how I like to game.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »
Go Aggro with multiple PCs can be a nightmare
Can you explain that  a bit?

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:14 AM »
Solo games work fine, but as others have already said they can get rather intense, so expect shorter sessions. Oh, and assign the playbook's Hx options to NPCs when there's only one PC! I've gotten a lot of milage out of that.

I've been PbPing more or less constantly since early autumn with this game, and it works great (assuming PbP works for you at all, that is!). One of the things that make this game run better than others, I think, is that the rules require so little handling time, so the fiction keeps moving forward at a very good pace.

We're playing on a google document, using a two-column table, with fiction talk to the left and rules talk to the right. Works like a charm, and is much more readable than playing in proper forum threads, in my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 06:40:11 PM »
We're playing on a google document, using a two-column table, with fiction talk to the left and rules talk to the right. Works like a charm, and is much more readable than playing in proper forum threads, in my opinion.

Could you give us a link or a screenshot to have a peep at what it looks like ?

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
Could you give us a link or a screenshot to have a peep at what it looks like ?

Sure, glad you asked! I'm on my mobile, so if the link is wrong I'll correct it later. Oh, and the text is in Swedish, but for the form I guess it doesn't matter. We use colors for character "voices" (works really well!). We also use fonts and background color to separate the feel of different games from each other. :)

It's here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aJbxQqGn0rKb26e12Gbu5j1RgUEFAMvqPKUFv6mBfJ8/mobilebasic?authkey=CKTLnrcM&hl=sv

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
Simon, that looks great! I want to try that!

Madu

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 01:26:24 PM »
I find AW very satisfying for PbP -- while it's not as immediate as facetime, as MC in the above-mentioned Red Sands game (/blush) I have some time between posts to consider NPCs and threats and fronts, and really barf forth, with the ability to reread and edit for maximum punch. 

For further RPG.net perusal, there's DannyK's AW game, A Town Called Gaga, which really put me on to Apocalypse World.  As mentioned, you need to be registered on the Big Purple to read it.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?533407-Apocalypse-World-quot-A-Town-Called-Gaga-quot&daysprune=365