Customizing Stats?

• 1 Replies
Customizing Stats?
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »
Is anyone else as intimidated as I am to mess with the names of the Stats? I know most of the hacks have changed the customized the Stats names, but the more I look at them the more I realize how well they were chosen.

Each Stat in AW is more than just a simple description of a character attribute. As far as I can tell each stat describes (at least) 4 separate aspects of a character:

1) Physical
2) Mental
3) Personality
4) Appearance

Take Hard for example:
Physically, Hard refers to a character's strength, toughness or power. Mentally it is a character's will power or determination. It describes a character's intimidating, harsh or stoic personality. And, for appearance, Hard can refer to a massive, sculpted or calloused exterior.

For me, this is making the difficult task of coming up with genre-appropriate stats even more daunting.

Re: Customizing Stats?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 03:24:43 PM »
Don't over think it!

Vincent chose great stat names, it's true. But so can you! The stat names are critical as a way to convey the style, tone, and subject matter of your hack. Think about expressing your vision. Try not to stress about how "perfect" they need to be

Go with your gut, then revise and revise.