Design brainstorming

• 17 Replies
Re: Design brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 05:00:41 PM »
A thread by Marhault on Story Games got me thinking again about all the great D&D humanoid races we used to play. Link: http://story-games.com/forums/comments.php?DiscussionID=15338&page=1#pgtop

I'm keen to design more of these into Goblin World, so I'm thinking of taking GW back to its D&D roots by making some Thouls and other boutique evil humanoid races. I should be able to design it more generically so you can play a very mixed party of evil races forced to live in the same dungeon without making it too Gonzo.

XP from 3:16
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:47:31 PM »
Running a few playtests for a 3:16 hack I'm writing tentatively called "Butchers and Thieves" and here's what happened:

The Thief poured a magic healing potion on the ground rather than let the Butcher get any experience from having it.

This is exactly what I was looking for: the right tension between competition and co-operation. So I think I'm going to explore the options of expanded 3:16 experience system that we use in our 3:16 Deathwatch hack. The draft I have so far is:

Killing them...
 - 1 XP for most Minions
 - 1 XP for most Elites
 - 1 XP if you killed a Master / Solo

...and taking their stuff
 - 1 XP for the most Gold
 - 1 XP for the most Valuable
 - 1 XP if you got a Magic Item

But don't forget...
 - ...what that guy in the tavern was saying: 0-3 XP each for completing the mission
 - ...to pay the leech: give 1 XP if someone healed or buffed you
 - ...the weakest link: catch up algorithm for low XP at the expense of high XP

Number Appearing?
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:21 AM »
With a couple of rule tweaks the new Beta of DW is meeting all my Sunloving Butcher gaming needs right now so Butchers and Thieves is on hold. Link for B&T anyone is interested:
<<<Link deleted>>>

Steve has done an awesome job finishing the Ingenero hack of Goblin World. Looking very tasty.

Loving the idea of Farewell to Fear (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/machineage/farewell-to-fear-a-progressive-post-fantasy-rpg) right now. Thinking about it has helped me refocus on what I want from Goblin World: playing backstabbing "monsters" surviving together even though they have been cast as the villains.

To get the game closer to what I want I'm thinking of changing the name from Goblin World to Number Appearing. Also thinking about using old D&D monster stat blocks to connect to the feel I want. This is clearly never going to a popular game, but man I am having fun designing it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:27:33 AM by wightbred »