90 minute games, no stats, few basic moves.

• 4 Replies

elkin

90 minute games, no stats, few basic moves.
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »
Hi all,

I'm running a series of short games as part of a larger event. The event is Greek mythology themed, somewhat inspired by Agon. The PCs are all heroes, out to gain glory and honour for themselves and their patron gods, preferably at the expense of other heroes and other gods. Players get a character sheet with some fluff, and play 2-3 short games with different GMs.

Since there are no consistent mechanics, most GMs use some sort of simple task resolution mechanic. I did, too, last time I GMed in a similar event. Since then, I came to know and love AW, and I think I can squeeze more fun out of a 90 minute game if I implement basic moves. There are no stats, and I'm not going to assign any.

I also want as few moves as possible. I condensed the basic AW moves into five moves. The problem is that I'm not sure I'll get to give it a test before the event.
So, please ignore the phrasing, and assume the language is easily understood. How do you think it will affect the game? Can I use even fewer basic moves (like removing going into battle)? Should I?

------
Roll the dice when you assist or hinder another hero. On 6+, they get +1 or -2, your choice. On 6-8, you expose yourself to danger, shame or cost.

Roll the dice when you try to manipulate with brute force or smooth tongue. On 9+, your will is Law even among the gods. Your opponent must either fulfil your wishes, defy the gods or receive a blow that will immediately kill any non-heroic mortal. On 6-8, your word is Law among mortals. Your opponent must fulfil your wishes, offer you a bargain or flee and cower before your might.

Roll the dice when you act in spite of danger. On 9+, the Moirae are pleased with your heroics. On 6-8, the Moirae will offer you a bargain - you can either take it and succeed, or refuse it and fail.

Roll the dice when you gauge someone or something. On 6-8, ask one question. On 9+, ask three. When acting on an answer, add +1 to your roll.
-Is it false or truthful?
-What is its true nature?
-What about it deserves my full attention?
-What controls it? Who is it loyal to?
-What will happen to/with it if I do nothing?
-How can I get glory out of it?
-What about it might bring shame to another hero?
-What is the best way to approach it / get past it / get away from it?

Roll the dice when you go into battle. On 9+, Ares grants you might and fortitude, choose 4. On 6-8, you must rely on your heroism alone, choose 2.
-You get something important (object, person, position, information).
-Nothing important to you is harmed or damaged.
-You keep your opponents at bay.
-You strike fear into the hearts of your opponents.
-You fight courageously, bringing glory to you and your patron god.
-Your comrades fight in a manner that brings them shame or ridicule.

Re: 90 minute games, no stats, few basic moves.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
Interesting idea! I like the vibe of the moves so far.

We've been playtesting a hack that doesn't use stats, and we ended up with this:
- Choose one move you're good at: you roll that move with +1.
- Choose one move that causes you trouble: you roll that move with -1.

The last choice in your battle move is problematic. You shouldn't get to control the actions of the other heroes with a simple move choice.

elkin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the input, John!

I forgot to add that each PC is supposed to worship one of four gods (I don't know which), so I guess I can assign +1 to one of the non-assist moves based on the patron god; or do you think it's better to let the player choose?

The last option of the battle move does sound wrong. What if I change it to "you prevent your comrades from gaining more glory than you do?", or "you are the most glorious of all combatants"?

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
A bonus/penalty based on the patron god is good. And they do get to choose: by choosing which god they serve. :)

The battle move already has a glory choice. It's weird to have a "most glorious" choice when multiple heroes could be making the move. What if two of them choose that one? I'd avoid that.

Since it's a short one-shot, maybe just use the gods to highlight glory (by having one of them heap praises on whoever has been most glorious) and don't worry about it as a mechanical element.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:04 PM »
Ares is a bad pull. He's not much help to anyone, more of a hindrance. I'd suggest something like: Hera for manipulate; Hermes for danger; Apollo for gauge stuff; and Athena for battle. And let everybody pray to Zeus for a +1 once during the game.