Quantity of Rolls

• 4 Replies

agony

Quantity of Rolls
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
Are other groups making moves and rolling dice about twice as often in Dungeon World as they do in Apocalypse World? 

I mean, it seems like every other scene in our DW games constitute a Battle in AW terms, while in AW you don't even necessarily have a battle every session.  Is this the case for everyone else?

I think the by-product of this, for me, is that I'm having a harder time determining how hard of a move to make in response to a failed roll as there's just so much more rolling going on.  The dynamic of play just feels so different to me than AW.  Maybe we're playing DW wrong, I dunno. 

Re: Quantity of Rolls
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
You're definitely not "playing it wrong".  Dungeon World tends to dump a lot of moves into the game.  It's why "levelling up" takes so many more marks of XP than an advancement in AW.  Fights take longer, more moves get made, etc.

No worries, there.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
But yeah, I hear you.  It'd be good to have some "default" options for response moves to keep your brain from burning out thinking them up.  Dealing damage is an easy answer if they're fighting, but when the Volley or Spell goes "half-wrong" and somebody gets into yet another spot, it'd be handy to have some kind of easy choice available.  Sometimes the fiction just doesn't (seem to) lend itself easily to difficult choices.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:49:21 AM »
I've seen people on various forums say that it's difficult to come up with hard moves, sometimes, so I made a blog post about it.

http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2011/05/apocalypse-world-guide-to-hard-moves.html

Maybe that'll be useful.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »
I've seen people on various forums say that it's difficult to come up with hard moves, sometimes, so I made a blog post about it.

http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2011/05/apocalypse-world-guide-to-hard-moves.html

Maybe that'll be useful.

It's something I tend to do, but that's so much more useful written like that (like most of the MC chapter in AW). Thanks for this!