Adventuring Gear

• 7 Replies
Adventuring Gear
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »
Adventuring Gear puzzles me a bit.

Is it just an amorphous blob of "stuff", to be defined the moment it is used or does the player say (fiction and all, you know) "I'm buying torches, so that's one adventuring gear" or even "I buy some torches and a pole and some lock-picks, and that fills out my 3 expendables from my adventuring gear"?

agony

Re: Adventuring Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
It's a blob.  It's awesome because it reduces book keeping and doesn't waste game time on the group prepping so they aren't screwed over by some situation the GM throws at them that they forgot to prepare for.  Plus, it allows them to be creative.

We play it like this:

GM: "There's a large pit in front of you, it spans about 10 feet and you can't see the bottom."
Player 1: "Ok, I'm going to throw my rope across and swing to the other side."
GM: "Cool, roll Defy Danger."
Player 1: "Ok, I'm going to take +1 for adventuring gear because of the rope *marks off 1 use*"

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »
Fair enough, though that does take some of the kick out of the Thief's ability to pull a mundane item out of... somewhere.

Also, do you suppose adventuring gear is meant to be prescriptive (is that even right?).  That is, if I use my rope from my gear, am I obligated to take the +1 and lose a use?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:35:14 PM »
thief dont have to worry about that conflict.  they can't pull an item from anywhere but their pockets.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
Would you look at that?  Guess I'd better tell my Thief player.  Thanks.

agony

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
Yeah it does seem to cut into the Thief ability.  One way to separate them a bit is to be stringent on what Adventuring Gear could represent.  It has several items listed under Adventuring Gear as an example - limit it only to things of that nature.

For instance, you want a piece of parchment and a quill?  Only the Thief can grab that.  Oh, you want a Ragged Bow now because you're wounded and want to avoid melee, well the Thief can pull that up from the corner of the room when no one is looking.  Or what about a mirror, or chalk for a Ritual, or some sand to replace a Golden skull on a pedestal with?

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 10:13:36 PM »
Ludanto, are you talking about the current hack?  Which ability is it that allows the thief to produce an item?  Maybe I'm just missing something, but I couldn't find a move that would do that.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:54 AM »
Sorry, this was in the 11.03.06 version.  That move doesn't exist anymore.