Hirelings and Glory

• 4 Replies
Hirelings and Glory
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:19:01 PM »
Glory seems like a difficult price to pay.  Not that it's hard to defeat a monster so much as it's hard to defeat a monster in front of spectators.  All of the other costs pretty much involve getting one "thing".  Glory requires a tough foe and an appreciative audience at the same time.  And places where monsters are, friendly people usually aren't.

Not sure how I would handle that in game.  I've got a couple of protectors running with the Paladin, but we're underground and surrounded by monsters.  Plenty of "glory", but nobody to spread it.

agony

Re: Hirelings and Glory
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
Do you have a bard?  Perhaps you could hire one to follow you and sing of the two protector's triumphs?  Perhaps the PCs could carouse back in town and spread the word of the courageous deeds of Karl and Johan the Protectors?

sage

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »
That is a tough cost, depending on your game, and that's on purpose (more or less). If you're delving to the lower depths to defeat the dark elves, then yeah, you probably aren't going to be able to keep the glory hound defender happy. Then again, if you're good enough at ordering her, maybe she'll just wait until you're out and safe.

On the other hand, if you're the Hand of the King, dealing with ratmen rising from the sewers, plenty of people are going to see you, but money might be harder to come by. That glory hound is easy to bring along, while the greedy wizard is harder to keep.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
We've found the costs to be interesting in our game so far too. The bard has promised to sing the praises of the priest hireling, keeping him happy (although the players had to do all the work while he gets the glory). Money, on the other hand, is hard to come by (so much so that the party is already adventuring for rent money as it is).*

I think DW is going to play very differently with different groups, and that's a good thing. The fact that the design is starting to underline different assumptions about what dungeon delving is says good things about the design I think.

* I hope I get to play my "When Grik comes to collect for the rent and you can't pay" move.

agony

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
Tony,

You mention money is hard to come by, how much are your players getting per session roughly? 

Reason I'm asking is because in your Purple Worm Graveyard you give out several thousand Gold.  I know this was for Apocalypse D&D and not DW but I figured you were all for free flowing money in your game.