defensive roll / magic item crafting

• 2 Replies
defensive roll / magic item crafting
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:29:32 AM »
I want to apologize if this has been answered, since I only check on occasion because others are more proactive.  

Can you explain what defensive roll for thief means?  as I understand avoiding something means taking no damage, but I may be too tired to realize the important angle.  

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:38:55 AM by wombatkombat »

Re: defensive roll
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »
Along this vein I wasn't sure if there was anything for magic item creation.  I play a thief focused on magic item use and it'd be cool if I could make them instead of only the mages having this ability (as per most games).  I also don't mean I can make a wand of fireball (that'd be a wizard thing), but more like a magical boomerang that when thrown scoops off all hats in the room, or glasses that dont force me to 100% always have to have a torch saying "here i come every bad guy ever" and I could sneak while in dark areas.  Though once i get that we'll never see any underground only baddies ever again... I'd still want it.  The point being that perhaps the types of items a thief could create would be different of what a wizard can do (perhaps a scroll could get around it or team work) but alone magic items couldn't be made with spells attached.

Also, if it happens I'd be willing to share any magic items I create with the group to make sure they aren't OP/UP and if good could be used by more than just me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 04:00:40 AM by wombatkombat »

sage

Re: defensive roll / magic item crafting
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
That move could probably be phrased better. The idea of Defensive Roll is that the Thief is so agile, when he really puts his mind to it he can escape nearly anything, but at great peril. I think the thing that makes the move a little odd is that the fictional bit, the part you have to do for the mechanics to kick in, isn't very clear. I'll need to work on that.

There aren't magic item creation rules, unless you count the wizard's Ritual. This is pretty deliberate on our part, since magic items aren't quite the required part of advancement that they are in D&D 3-4. There's plenty of coolness in just the class moves, magic items are always kind of icing on the cake.

If magic item creation is a route you want to go, I'd talk with your GM and ask about taking the Wizard's Ritual as your move next level. The Thief doesn't have any multiclass moves, but that doesn't mean you couldn't add one.

If there's really a niche for a magic-item Thief, you might also look at what Jonathan Walton (http://thouandone.wordpress.com/ has been doing with his mini-playbooks (http://johnstone.wikispaces.com/file/view/AW-valkyrie.pdf/220986434/AW-valkyrie.pdf) for AW that cover specialized versions of a class. They're kind of like AW prestige classes, and we've thought about doing something similar for DW once we finish the basic text.