Doubts with seduce and manipulate

• 3 Replies
Doubts with seduce and manipulate
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:23:40 PM »
These are issues and questions that I´ve come up with since reading the book...

-Haven´t you ever got trouble aplying the 7-9 result from sed. & man.? I mean, "they need some concrete assurance right now". Sometimes giving them a concrete assurance is pretty much the same as fulfilling the promise (If I promise to give you a gun in exchange, the only concrete assurance I can think of is giving him the gun right now), and sometimes the help a PC needs from an NPC is immediate, so there´s no time to go and give him a concrete assurance. What do you do if the help is needed right now, and there´s no apropriate assurance to be given at the moment? I want to make the 7-9 result meaningful, concrete, not just a boring "I promise to do that by tomorrow!".
Another example, you promise Vulcano to have sex w/him, if he dismisses Lala for a while (so you can later kill him), instead of having a trio. A 7-9 (this actually happened), I had him start touching her and getting her undressed, she had to stood that until the girl retired, and only then could she attack. How would you´ve done the 7-9 to make it meaningful? Having Vulcano undress her, so she´s no longer wearing her armor when the killing begins? Or be hugging her in such a way that pulling the chains to kill him is acting under fire?

I´d like to see examples of 7-9 hits on manipulate, and what kinds of concrete assurance you or the players came up with.

-Another question, this time with the 10+ result. You choose whether to keep up with your promise or not, ok, but would it be ok to have that choise spark future consequences? In the immediate, I mean, there would be no trouble, but in the future, if you kept up with it, he becomes a stronger supporter, or lover, or whatever, and if you don´t, he maybe holds grudge against you?

-This is not my doubt, but rather something that came up while I wasn´t the MC. A PC manipulated another PC. I said that I needed leverage over the other character, but then the MC said that that wasn´t the case between PCs, that you only needed it if you were manipulating NPCs. Is that true? Can you just go and manipulate a PC without promising something first, just with the pressure of the exp. and acting under fire?

I think that´s it.

Re: Doubts with seduce and manipulate
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 12:15:50 AM »
(If I promise to give you a gun in exchange, the only concrete assurance I can think of is giving him the gun right now)

Well, you could put the gun down and back away so he can pick it up.

How would you´ve done the 7-9 to make it meaningful? Having Vulcano undress her, so she´s no longer wearing her armor when the killing begins?

Getting undressed in front of somebody in their bedroom after you promised to fuck them sounds like some pretty concrete assurances to me.

-Another question, this time with the 10+ result. You choose whether to keep up with your promise or not, ok, but would it be ok to have that choise spark future consequences?

well, I dunno. I mean, if I asked to borrow your car and in exchange I'd buy you some chicken chow mein on my way back, and then I never came back at all, you wouldn't be at all mad or anything, right? I mean, you'd just let that shit slide and not come after me with a shotgun or anything, wouldn't you? You're pretty easy-going, it's not like you live in some wasteland where you have to eat other people to survive unless maybe you have a car to catch dogs with, or nuthin. Right? You're cool, ain't no thing. So yeah, same stuff in-game.

I said that I needed leverage over the other character, but then the MC said that that wasn´t the case between PCs, that you only needed it if you were manipulating NPCs. Is that true? Can you just go and manipulate a PC without promising something first, just with the pressure of the exp. and acting under fire?

Yup, that's what it says in the book.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »
One comment, if you're giving the guy the gun you're probably not manipulating, you're probably doing this:

When you give 1-barter to someone, but with strings
attached,
it counts as manipulating them and hitting the roll
with a 10+, no roll required.

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
Fulfilling the promise right now counts as concrete assurance, of course.

For concrete assurance of future sex, I like kissing.

Yes, consequences if you break your promise, of course.

For PCs, you don't need leverage. You get the carrot & stick instead.