Playbooks

• 4 Replies

Ariel

Playbooks
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
I think that maybe playbooks are a good idea again.

Does anyone one have any ideas or things they'd like to see?

Re: Playbooks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:47:04 AM »
I'd recommend starting a game with the chargen rules you got now and seeing what kind of archetypes shake out during play.

Alternately, you've got four stats, so you could have four basic archetypes in which to group all the customization stuff.

Ariel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »
That's a solid place to start JS, thanks.

More generally, since you seem to be the most focused on this hack o'mine. Anything you'd like to see, or find interesting?

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
Honestly? I just want to steal your stuff, I guess.

I like the general theme, especially the quotation from Solaris. I put that book at the apex of alien contact stories, and I like the movies a lot, too. So I'm interested to see your take on it, what kind of premise you come up with, and how the rules work. I like Ghost/Echo a lot, too.

I like the rules you've come up with so far, there's some interesting choices there. They could still use some work, and they go in some directions I'm not partial to, but I've also sat around fiddling with similar stuff based on them, and gotten some other ideas from them.

And I like the art you did. It might look like it would be easy to knock off some of that AW-style two-tone art, but it's really not. Well, easy to do, hard to make actually look good.

So, y'know, if you're just fucking around and stuff, spitballing, and working out some ideas just for play later, cool. I'm just curious to see what you come up with. If you're thinking seriously about making a finished game with text and pictures, also cool. This looks like the kind of game I want to pick up.

So I don't really have any demands on direction or anything. If you want feedback on stuff, or you want me to post up my reactions to stuff and what it makes me think of, I could do that I guess. Otherwise, I'm here for general encouragement.

Ariel

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »
Steal. You can have it. I don't feel threatened by IP and creator-control type issues. If I ran the world things like copy-right and such would be outlawed and not enforced. Making things and putting only your name on the cover would be considered either a mark of low-quality or a terrible faux pas.

I'm looking for as much feedback as possible. Negative feed back / criticism especially. The people I'm prospectively going to be playing with usually just say "Looks good! or that's cool! or whatever man, it'll be fun!" Which is nice, just not always helpful.

What directions are you not partial too?

If you could post up your thoughts and fucking-around-with that would be rad. I mean, even if it's a new thing or a radical change in direction what I was doing.

A this point, it's fucking-around-with but I'd like to throw together something at least as nice as Monsterhearts at some point. Simpler in a way. Low page count, only critical explanations and implicit fiction. Something that would be extremely unsatisfying for some but not for others. In the spirit of some of John Harper's free games. But I imagine that it would require not simply a copy of AW but solid understanding of the game in play. A mod that changes some of the fundamentals but leave much untouched giving it a similar but different game play experience. Like the variations in chess or poker.

I don't think I've gotten to where I want with the themes. The field at this point is too accessible, to normal in a way. I would depend alot on the MC.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:41:12 PM by Nathan Orlando Wilson »