The sampling rate of the Ibrain is ridiculously high, but even so there is information loss. This loss causes digital noise, or transients. Extreme brain activity, particularly that of traumatic events, seem to trigger transients. The Ichiko-Oeverland rapport found a high degree of Transients in Ibrains that had been through the following traumatic triggers:
• Re-Integration (extensive VR-therapy and transition training reduces this).
• Massive sleeve trauma (the morphic-dissociation associated with Shell integration seems to protect the Resident to some degree) [when your body is a toaster, you don’t care that much]
• Sleeve/Shell Destruction (the animalistic response to imminent death seems to be the trigger here)
• Ghost Hacks, Meme-bombs and Viral-code (included because they are a source of Transients, though more through direct corruption of Source Code than through sample-loss).
If your operator EXPERIENCES A TRAUMATIC EVENT, then add hir Sleeve/Shell’s Transient Rating to the Transient Accretion Bar.
When an operator’s Accretion reaches:
1-3 Managable. The Ibrain’s noise correction and redundancy filters allow for error free correction. These Transients will be corrected automatically given time and rest.
4-5 Sample Loss. The Ibrain can no longer compensate and there is an immediate danger of SOURCE CODE CORRUPTION. Correction and reduction procedures are required to lower the Accretion level.
6+ Core Memory Code Errors. The amount of sample noise in the Ibrain is high enough to interfere with Ibrain functions, and SOURCE CODE CORRUPTION is likely. Further transient accretion will provoke Ibrain shutdown. Correction and reduction procedures are required to lower the Accretion level
When you are in danger of SOURCE CODE CORRUPTION roll + [Transient Accretion – 3]. On a:
1-6 Error filters and firewalls have protected code integrity.
7-9 The controller picks one:
• One Lifepath Event detail are permanently altered. Hir Choice.
• One Lifepath Event becomes corrupted and any development associated becomes temporarily unavailable. Your Choice.
• Meme implanted. Follow, add XP. Resist you need to KEEP COOL.
10+ The Controller picks one:
• One Lifepath Event is corrupted, isolated and deleted by integrity protocols. All developments remain, but the details are gone.
• New Lifepath Event is created. Either latent file, suppressed or implanted memory, impossible to tell what. No Developments, Liability acquired.
When you need CODE INTEGRITY MAINTENANCE to reduce your Accretion or correct source code corruption, ROLL + HACK. You need to enter the Floating World and Time. It is expensive as hell, you do take a – 1-Credit. On a 10+ pick three, on a 7-9 pick two:
• Your Accretion drops one segment (may be chosen more than once).
• Lost development comes online.
• Implanted meme removed (counts as two choices).
• You kept the cost down ignore the Credit loss.