The Hoarder

• 27 Replies
The Hoarder
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:23 AM »
So, Vincent released a new Apocalypse World playbook: The Hoarder.

For those who're interested, it's part of a rad $10 charity bundle (which also includes Perfect Unrevised, btw): here.

This is one of my favourite playbooks yet. Of all the special-release playbooks (Maestro D', Faceless, Quarantine, Hoarder), I'm most excited about The Hoarder.

I'm a little unthrilled about A Spoonful of Sugar, mostly because I don't get an immediate sense of how to use it - how the mechanics lead into the fiction, or the fiction leads into the mechanics. I guess it's only for use in circumstances where you're bribing the guards in order to help your friend sneak into the fort, etc, etc... but either way it seems like a scene-level move, and not an action-level move.

If I were to play a Hoarder, I'd be tempted to take Acquisitive Eye and Appraising Eye, along with the stat-block that gives me Sharp+2. The idea of simply reducing the world to a collection of objects, of seeing every situation and every opponent as a cache of  valuables... so good.

Chroma

Re: The Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
So, Vincent released a new Apocalypse World playbook: The Hoarder.

For those who're interested, it's part of a rad $10 charity bundle (which also includes Perfect Unrevised, btw): here.

Seems somewhat humourous to release "The Hoarder" in a charity bundle... *laugh*

I'll see what I and my group can do.
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

lumpley

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
How does acquisition of the PDFs work? Is a single person handling the mailing out of them? Are they loaded on an FTP site for download? How does that work?

lumpley

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
Elizabeth has them all in a zip file on dropbox.com, and she emails you a link to it.

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
Right on! Thanks.

More information from the link:

The games are:

* Mars Colony, by Tim Koppang
    * Polaris, by Ben Lehman
    * Remember Tomorrow, by Gregor Hutton
    * Murderland, by Elizabeth Shoemaker
    * Perfect, Unrevised by Joe McDaldno— along with all the reference sheets
    * Geasa, by Jonathan Lavalee
    * And a special, bundle-only Apocalypse World character class: THE HOARDER,  by D. Vincent Baker

This bundle is only $10 for all six games, so please donate! This offer will only be for a limited time, and all funds go to Karla and her daughter.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
The Hoarder really disturbs me, much more than the Brainer or Faceless.   I was going to bring it to my game on Thursday, but I'm not sure I want to give my MC inspiration for new Threats. 

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
All games I don't own.  I'm totally happy to donate, and have done so.

Just don't let that Hoarder guy stick a fork in my eye.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:37 PM »
Love the hoarder!  Now I need a new game in which to try one. (Or to earn that 6th advance)

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »
Just to make sure: both the secretive and the non-secretive Hoarder give +1 Hx to everyone?

I assumed the secretive one would give -1 Hx, but I'll go with the text unless told otherwise.

lumpley

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
Both give +1Hx to everyone.

In case anyone here is wondering too, here's psi-harm.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
Thanks Vincent!

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
Just to make sure: both the secretive and the non-secretive Hoarder give +1 Hx to everyone?

I assumed the secretive one would give -1 Hx, but I'll go with the text unless told otherwise.

John, imagine that you had a giant hoard of scavenged things that you spoke to.
Now imagine that you suddenly went silent whenever someone else entered the room.
Imagine you went to great lengths to conceal what your hoard of stuff contained.

Now, imagine how much people just learned about you, by observing this behavior.
Imagine how easy it is for them to help you or hinder you, now.

+1Hx makes total sense.

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:12:09 AM »
All games I don't own.  I'm totally happy to donate, and have done so.

Just don't let that Hoarder guy stick a fork in my eye.

He's gonna stick it in one of those crazy mushrooms. That might be an eyeball. When ya eat 'em ya kin see Jesus.

-JC

lumpley

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »
Yay!