A non-Angel healing

• 3 Replies
A non-Angel healing
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
Good Apoclaypse to all.

A simple question buzz in my head since my first AW session: how do you handle the healing, even the basic first-aid by a non-Angel character?

My Faceless, Meat, and my fiancée's Quarantine, Jenny, were helping a poor boy, Rum, which was shot.
"His heart stops. He's dead" said the MC. "No, wait!" I screamed, "I try a crude reanimation, hitting hard his chest! Beat, bastard, beat! "

It was obvious to us to roll "Act under fire", the fire being the fading of poor Rum's life.
I succeded, we managed to keep him barely alive (no real healing on the countdown clock: he was stabile at a inch from death) and the only solution was to hibernate him in Quarantine's vault.

All this was wonderfully coherent in fiction, but I marvel: is correct to handle healing in this way?

If I use an Angel kit to stabilize someone I must spend it to have a +1 to the roll, but Meat the Faceless, just with his fist, take a +2.
Isn't this going to strip the angel kits (and the Angel) of part of their utility?

Also, you give acces to angel kit to everyone or reserve it for Angels or moves like "prepare to the inevitable"?
If everyone can access and use kits like an Angel isn't he a little... dull?
Ciao, I'm Ezio, from Italy.
I'm sorry for my bad english... I'll keep studying ;-)

Ariel

Re: A non-Angel healing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
I don't think non-Angels can use Angel kits unless someone buys it as an Advance.

If none of your PC are Angels then there are no Angel kits strictly speaking. They have to go to an NPC healer type and buy their harm segments back. Since the boy doesn't have a harm countdown, the PC just have to negotiate with the NPC for the boy's life.

You were right to handle the fiction that way. But if the PCs want to do better than stablize the boy they're gonna have to find someone to fix him up. Which follows the MC stuff: Lead forward with named NPC, PC-NPC-PC triangles, Make them buy, &c.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
I make them do a special little acting under fire roll where the fire is they have absolutely no idea what they are doing.  If they ace both the Act Under Fire roll and the Angel Kit roll, they are good but if they screw one or the other up bad things happen.  

If there isn't anything resembling a full blown Angel Kit, it's an Act Under Fire with a full hit needed to stabilize them without things going horribly wrong.  And even on a hit they stabilize at basically but not totally dead.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:38:20 PM by cathexis »

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:16:14 AM »
Page 244 adresses this and says that using specialty gear such as  non angel using an angel kits or a non brainer using brainer gear requires a cool under fire test.