Which Moves do you use?

• 0 Replies

noofy

Which Moves do you use?
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:42:44 AM »
So we've moved from Apoc D&D to Dungeon World test version, to Dungeon world hack (essentials) with 2.0 in the publishing pipeline...

All these great versions have stand out moves. I've been using the original DW printouts (with the odd Apoc D&D town move thrown in) for a few sessions with Dingledale's finest, but now the hack beta has hit the streets, I've been in two minds. The edition war continues!

I like all the moves! There has been much thought and care gone into their creation, and with that in mind, especially after seeing some of them used in spectacularly creative ways, I was loathe to let them go. So last night I kept 'em.

Yup, I did a bit of sneaky cut and paste and made some new laminated Basic and Special Move sheets and unleashed them on Tonks and Brancino, along with the new, expanded character sheets.

Ooooh, they clamoured, look at all these cool new abilities I can take when I gain a level! How do I do that again?

No matter, the Charsheets are awesome. What about the moves? The new hack and slash was re-named 'Basic Attack' (ranged or melee), so the players had a choice of using either move during combat. This worked fine, sometimes using the good ol' straight damage for damage, and other times looking for cool narrative ways of incorporating the options under the old move.

Likewise with the CON move. Defend and Take a Stand are obviously combat orientated, but don't have to be and the lads found a few 'non violent' uses for them in slightly differing ways.

Tonks was blasted verbally (and with the odd slap) 'go aggro' style by the Madam of the Stinky Fish Bordello. Brancino Defended him, missing miserably and ending up lumped in with Tonks to become: the 'cowards who let Xena be eaten by a beastie, and don't either of you ever show your face again in my establishment!'

Tonksey valiantly Took a Stand against a Rust Monster underneath Phoenix Mt., managing a 7-9 and encouraging the metal hungry beast to chase him further into the depths, allowing Brancino an unhindered attempt at disarming a trapped door.

I couldn't bear to Lose Adventure Hooks, being my stand-in for the Burning Wheel Circles mechanic that I love so much, so it stayed. Fortunately use of the move decided some of the layout of the Dungeon, and introduced the dastardly duo to a drunken Dwarven Cleric named Zeppelin who agreed to heal them in their journey so long as they paid him in whiskey and converted to worship Mab the Raven Queen..... All this from the players. Awesome.

The lads used most of the other basic / special moves and some of their class talents too. All seemed to synergize without so much as a sneeze.

So. What moves do you use? Which ones have you discarded due to the new hack? Why?