Running a few playtests for a 3:16 hack I'm writing tentatively called "Butchers and Thieves" and here's what happened:
The Thief poured a magic healing potion on the ground rather than let the Butcher get any experience from having it.
This is exactly what I was looking for: the right tension between competition and co-operation. So I think I'm going to explore the options of expanded 3:16 experience system that we use in our 3:16 Deathwatch hack. The draft I have so far is:
- 1 XP for most Minions
- 1 XP for most Elites
- 1 XP if you killed a Master / Solo
...and taking their stuff
- 1 XP for the most Gold
- 1 XP for the most Valuable
- 1 XP if you got a Magic Item
But don't forget...
- ...what that guy in the tavern was saying: 0-3 XP each for completing the mission
- ...to pay the leech: give 1 XP if someone healed or buffed you
- ...the weakest link: catch up algorithm for low XP at the expense of high XP