Food of the Apocalypse

• 16 Replies
Food of the Apocalypse
« on: June 29, 2010, 12:01:19 PM »
Stuff to eat while playing ApW.

Vx Brand Apopalyspe Corn
Make popcorn.
Melt butter.
Add a whole bunch of sriracha hot sauce.
Stir sriracha hot sauce butter through popcorn.
Eat.

Elizabeth's Prepackaged Feast
Gather together food-like products that might survive an apocalypse. Must include Twinkies, Spam, and cheap junk candy. Fish paste in a tube is good, as is Cheez Wizz. Display on something incongruously lovely, like an antique silver platter or a tiered cut-glass cookie tree. Make up increasingly bizarre combinations as the night wears on. Bonus points to whoever first tries Twinkies with Fish paste icing.

Bret's Salsapocalypse World
Ingredients:
2 large tomatoes, cored
1/2 large white onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 sarrano pepper
1/2 cup cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Dump it all in a food processor and blend to desired chunkiness. Just as tasty chopped up with a knife and dumped into a bowl, just more time consuming.

Re: Food of the Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
This is great!
I love the prepackaged feast idea.

I'd also love to see a recipe or two for something that would end up resembling some kind of horrible mess that you'd make out of pig-maggot meat, roaches, and pigeons, but actually tastes good.

Anyone got anything?  :)

Bret

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »
Well, my salsa can look like green goop when it spends too long in the food processor.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
Gonna be honest -- I like the green goop salsa best. I don't like chunky salsa at all.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:36:49 PM »
This is great!
I love the prepackaged feast idea.

I'd also love to see a recipe or two for something that would end up resembling some kind of horrible mess that you'd make out of pig-maggot meat, roaches, and pigeons, but actually tastes good.

Anyone got anything?  :)

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/04/roast-chestburster-a.html
Not quite, but getting there.

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »
Somehow it had never occurred to me that I could make food that looks on purpose like something horrifying.

Pigmaggot stew, here we come.

-Vincent

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »
I tried to search the site for more about pigmaggots. Are they the size of witchetty grubs and taste like pork? Or are they like pig size and taste like grub?

Oh, and I found this, which sounds like it would suit AW. Just substitute some apocalyptic sort of bird thing.

Seagull wine is an invention of Inuits in desperate need of a drink during those cold Arctic nights. Simply stuff a dead seagull (in bits, or whole) into a bottle of water and leave in the sun.
"I don't care what Wilson says." -- some slanderous bastard on the internet

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
Pigmaggots: Are they the size of witchetty grubs and taste like pork? Or are they like pig size and taste like grub?

As Elliot and Sebastian were the inventors of such, I asked: Pigmaggots are the size of smallish pigs with short legs and wrinkly grub-like bodies, and they taste like really, really fatty pork. They do have distinctly piggy noses and eyes, though.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »
Bret's Salsapocalypse World

Sick and tired of having to wait for Bret to force feed it to me every monday night, I made my own tonight.

Lemme just say I think my marriage is secure for another three years thanks to this salsa recipe.

I added an avocado like Bret did last time.

Avocadogasm.
"I don't care what Wilson says." -- some slanderous bastard on the internet

Bret

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »
I can't think of a time that adding avocado to something has made it worse.

I actually once made avocado icing for a birthday cake. It was fantastic.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »
Crystal and I made Apocalypse Corn before watching the Book of Eli.

It was good. Really good.

Personally, I didn't find the spicy to be overwhelming, though my tolerance to such things is admittedly high. (Crystal eventually bailed out.) My youngest son Justice really liked it, too, when he got a chance to try it.

Seth
Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:35:04 AM »
I made Salsapocalypse World + Avocado, with homemade tortilla chips (cut those small corn tortilla's into 1/4ths, heat olive oil, throw 'em in with some salt til they're crispy), and OMG. Amazing. Thanks, Bret. This is a keeper, can't wait to feed my friends.

noofy

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 06:04:20 AM »
Red Bull + Coca Cola = Nuka Cola?

Also,
I once mashed up some of that orange and white flaky 'seafood surprise' stuff with avocado and mashed potato and pan fried to approximate 'mirelurk cakes'. Was rather tasty! (especially with a chilli paste)

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
If you had the facilities and time to do this as a break in your AW game it would be fun to present the table with a bunch of canned food -- labels removed and appropriately dented, and let your friends cook the meal on an open fire in the back yard.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
Oh my goodness Chris, that is a truly fantastic idea!

'It's the Apocalypse! Everybody bring a tin can with no label to a surprise party (What's the surprise? It's what's for dinner!) at our house..."

I think I have to do this.