_________ stole from me.
_________ lied to me.
_________ beat me.
_________ branded me.
_________ tortured me.
_________ cheated me.
I owe _________ 1 copper.
_________ is too lazy.
_________ is too clever.
_________ is too strong.
Start with 5 copper pieces (cp) to spend on gear.
Something small is a weapon that does 3 damage or less, a copper piece or anything else the MC agrees.
Axe or Hatchet (4 damage, 5cp)
Caltrops (2 damage, area, 1 use only, 3 cp)
Cleaver (4 damage, messy, 4cp)
Club (2 damage, free)
Crossbow (4 damage, 12cp)
Dagger or Knife (3 damage, 2cp)
Faery Bow (2 damage, Valuable, AP, 20cp)
Faery Special Arrow (1 use only, as Faery bow, but if they cause any damage the target is put to sleep, 10cp)
Needles (2 damage, infinite, 1cp)
Short Sword (4 damage, Valuable, 10cp)
Sling (3 damage, 3cp)
Stinky Rock Sling Stone (2 damage, and if you cause damage You are the Master, 1cp)
Stinger Poison (+1 damage, 1 use only, 3cp)
Whip (2 damage, and if you cause damage You are the Master, 4cp)
Itchy Padded Cloth, Sticky Fur or Scratchy Leather (1 Armour, 2cp)
Tarnished Copper Plates (2 Armour, 5cp)
Cooking Pot or Wooden Shield (+1 Armour, can only use a small weapon with this, 3cp)
Bandages (Heals 2 HP, 2 uses only, 4cp)
Rancid meat, rotten biscuits or turned fruit (Heals 1 HP, 1 use only, 1 cp)
Red Powder (+1 Quick, 1 use only, valuable, 5cp)
Soft leather "elvish" boots (+1 Lurk, valuable, 30cp)
The real threats are may be the other goblins but you need other enemies for them to oppose on the missions their Cave Leader sends them on or when they try for political advancement. All threats start as "the Master", unless otherwise noted. For all of these I've just modified 2nd Edition D&D monsters, but you can easily use 3rd or just wing it. Monsters can gang up, which gives them +1 damage per helping monster.
Missions from their Cave Leader:
- "Go to the human farm and steal two sheep for the feast."
- "Your stupid raid has stirred up the humans. Join the assault on the heroes in the caves."
- "We are at war with the Kobolds / Orcs / Faeries, and you need to scout the edge of the forest."
- "Cave Leader Balag is stealing from me. Go and rough up one of his Bodyguards."
- "Blood Shaman Rolig has cursed me with the Bludy Fluxx. Travel to the human village to bring back mead for the cure."
- War Chief and their Bodyguards (12 HP, Armour 3, Short Sword 4)
- War Shaman (11 HP, Armour 2, Axe 4 messy, can use these moves without rolling: Healing Touch for 2 HP and Point the Bone to give -1 ongoing)
- Worg (15 HP, Natural Armour 2, Bite 5)
- Sub-Chief and their Bodyguards (8 HP, Armour 3, Axe 4 messy)
- Blood Shaman (7 HP, Armour 1, Dagger 3, can use these moves without rolling: Healing Touch for 3 HP and Point the Bone to give -1 ongoing)
- Wolf (12 HP, Natural Armour 1, Bite 3)
- Cave Leader and their Assistants (7 HP, Armour 2, Knife 3)
- Cave Shaman (6 HP, Armour 1, Dagger 3, can use these moves without rolling: Healing Touch for 1 HP and Point the Bone to take -1 forward)
- Goblin Warrior (4 HP, Armour 1, Knife 3, doesn't start as the Master)
- Cleric (8+ HP, Armour 2, Too Big Mace 4, can use these moves without rolling: Healing Touch for 4 HP and Point the Bone to give -1 ongoing)
- Fighter (12+ HP, Armour 3, Too Big Sword 5)
- Thief (6+ HP, Armour 1, Dagger 3, deals 5 damage when they are the Master)
- Wizard (4+ HP, Too Big Staff 3, can use these moves without rolling: Point the Bone to give -1 ongoing and once only Magic Missile for 6 damage)
- Henchmen (4 HP, Armour 1, Dagger or Torch 3)
- Orc (6 HP, Armour 2, Too Big Axe 5 messy)
- Kobold (2 HP, Armour 1, Spiked Clubs 2, doesn't start as the Master)
- Faery (2 HP, Natural Armour 3, Needle 2, Faery Bow as above and three special arrows)
- Cat (4 HP, Natural Armour 2, Bite and Claws 4, always the Master)
- Dog (12 HP, Bite 4)
- Farmer (4 HP, 1 Armour, Too Big Axe 4 messy)
- Rat (1 HP, Bite 1 damage, doesn't start as the Master)
- Giant Rat (3 HP, Bite 2 damage)
- Sheep (7 HP, Natural Armour 2, Bite 2, doesn't start as the Master)